Monday, July 27, 2015

Welcome to my  new blog, The Teacher's Way. My name is Kortney and I have been in education since 2008.  Although I am still relatively new to the teaching world, I love to share fun ideas that will benefit the classroom teacher. I had to learn the hard way on some things so if I can help other teachers, I feel like I am contributing to the success of all students.

I live in Henderson, Nv which is a suburb of Las Vegas. Despite what people may think, yes we have schools and yes we have committed teachers! I work at a charter school and teach fifth grade. I have taught every grade in elementary school expect fourth grade and this will be my second year in fifth grade. I LOVE fifth grade and have some great things I like to implement with the students at this age.

Today begins the back to school countdown. I begin school in exactly two weeks and I am weirdly excited. I have two gorgeous girls aged 7 and 2 and a great husband that I enjoy spending time with during the summer, but I am anxious to get back into the classroom.  This is the time where I feel like my summer is over because I am buying supplies, planning my classroom, and rereading some great reads to get prepared.

I found this book last year: The First Six Weeks of School and I was fascinated by the best ways to introduce the school year.  I am one of those teachers that does not want to waste time on the beginning of the year meet and greet and ice breakers, I want to get into the meat of teaching.  These beginning of the year small activities are absolutely essential to the growth of a classroom and creates a great school environment so I know I have to do them, well this book lays out everything for the first six weeks for all grade levels! It goes week by week, hour by hour and gives great suggestions on how to get your students accumulated to the classroom. I highly recommend this book. There is a new version but I'm sure you may be able to find the 2000 version at the local library. I also have an extra unused copy, maybe I should start a contest??

Aside from reading, today I am going to re-work my parent welcome letter as well as my procedures list. The procedures list is something I keep for myself but it is five pages of everything I want to convey to my students.  I am going to a new school this year so it is important to look over my parent letter to ensure it is all relevant for my new set of students.  Finally, as a grade level we compiled a list of supplies so I want to make a short list for parents that is class specific so that I can get everything needed for students to be successful. Who else is excited?

Be sure to comment below and tell me what more you want to hear? As I get into school I will be posting great lessons, classroom management tools, cooperative learning strategies, and how to buy the best stuff from TPT .

No comments:

Post a Comment