Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Where do we begin on the first day?

The first day of school can be exciting and anxiety filled even more the most experienced teacher. I am going into my ninth year as an educator. I started in the classroom as an assistant, then a long term sub, and finally a full-time classroom teacher. I've watched rooms get set up and torn down many times and I've done my share as well. I am a very content driven teacher and the first days of school would drag on and on for me. How would I get through 6 hours with these new students when really I just want to know what the students know and how can I begin to help them! About two years ago, I came across a book, "The First Six Weeks Of School" and fell in love with the idea that I had a fool-proof way to enjoy the first six weeks of school while creating the rules and procedures that work best in the classroom.

Before you start this book, and I highly encourage you to check this book out, you have to believe in the fact that without an effective management system, you do not have an effective classroom.  Let me say that again, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT, YOU DO NOT HAVE AN EFFECTIVE CLASSROOM.  The more you begin to accept this, the faster your classroom will look the way you want it to. Management does not have to look the same in every classroom, but if you do not set the foundation for procedures and rules from the very start, you will be micro-managing your classroom for the entire year. This is what you DON'T want. You want to set the foundation and then let the classroom move naturally, when you don't set the foundation you will get burnt out. This is why I love this book, the book tells you hour by hour, step by step how to set up the procedures in the classroom.  You start at the beginning of the day with an activity or ice breaker, and every thing you teach that day procedure wise is done with a lesson. For instance, I LOVE interactive notebooks but it takes time to show kids (even fifth graders) how to cut, color, glue, and decorate in a timely fashion and ensure that it is neat. So instead of lecturing to the students how to complete your interactive notebook, you allow them to do it.

Remember, students have been wanting to "do" something for the past few months they have been out of school so don't tell them, let them do it.  This book gives you everything you need to launch into your procedures successfully. I highly recommend getting this book and taking a look at how to jump start your school year!


5th Grade daily sample from the book. Look how everything is listed hour by hour! You can't beat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment